When summer hits we often find ourselves getting the urge to travel. Whether by car or plane, many are seeking out an adventure away from home. But for many, leaving the comforts of our home and all its amenities also means leaving behind our healthy eating habits. So, what can we do to make sure our eating lifestyle doesn’t take a wrong turn when we hit the road?
1. Pack the Snacks: Preparing and packing healthy snacks ahead of time can save time, money, and unnecessary stomach discomfort. Healthy options include: organic or homemade granola bars, protein bars, or trail mix; raw nuts; dried fruit, and pre-cut fruit or vegetables (make sure you pack ones that will hold up well such as carrot sticks, celery, apples, etc).
2. Hotels that Provide or Allow Kitchen Items: If you are staying in a hotel, try choosing one that has a fridge in your room so you can have fresh food on hand. Check with your hotel to see if you are allowed to bring a blender for making fresh smoothies, or to see if they have a kitchen for guests to use.
3. Grocery Stores – On the Go Produce: Instead of purchasing fast food or snacks from a gas station, check out the local grocery store. This is a great way to make sure you are consuming fresh produce throughout the entirety of your trip. Many grocery stores are now offering natural and organic items, seek out these options as well.
4. Seek Out Healthy Restaurants: As you are planning your trip, search for local restaurants in the areas that you will be traveling. Many restaurants are posting their menus online. Find one that caters to local, natural foods and check out their menu. This is a great way to know if a restaurant will meet your lifestyle of eating.
5. Drink Plenty of Water: The feeling of hunger can often be a sign that we are thirsty. Make sure that you have plenty of water on your travels and that you are staying hydrated.
6. Plan Ahead: Packing food ahead of time and knowing where you will be staying can make a tremendous impact on how we eat when we are away from home. Take the time to make a list of what foods you’d like for your journey and map out a route for places you’d like to stop along the way. Healthy eating away from home is possible, if you take the time to plan it out.
Happy Travels and Good Eats to All!!!